Welcome to Our Class Blog!

Greetings and welcome to our Class Blog. I look forward to reading your reflections about Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing. The weekly blog entries should be posted by the due dates listed on Blackboard. I will post the weekly assignment. To post individual responses, students should click on the word, "comments" then write in the comment window to the weekly assignment. Blogging is not Discussion Board. Students are expected to reflect on the weekly posting each week. Students are encouraged to read other students' comments. You do not have to respond by commenting to classmates. These are your thoughts. This is a closed blog thus only students enrolled in NURS 432 will have access to this Blog by email invitation. Our confidentiality rule applies to all class bloggers. Please be mindful that scholarly writing is expected. You may refer to our class Blackboard for more detail about this Clinical Activity under Assignment. NOTE: Instructions on how to proceed are located in the Welcome to the May Graduating Class of 2015 message on the lower right side under Blog Archives October 2014. You will not be able to post a comment here. I initiated this Class Blog in 2011 with (6) discussion questions. You will be instructed to respond to my discussion questions ONLY. DO NOT START YOUR OWN POSTINGS. I look forward to your comments. Happy blogging!













Friday, November 13, 2015

Week 4: My feeling about my current clinical experience!


It’s been three weeks since your arrival to designated Psych units, what are some of your thoughts and feelings about the environment, the patients, the staff and you?

I must say, I love and very much enjoy the learning experience at our clinical site this semester. Spring Groove surprisingly has exceeded my expectations. What I most enjoy is the joy I feel we bring to the patients when we are there interacting with them. Our therapeutic games and group times are times where I feel we really bond with each and every patient who chooses to participate.  As the weeks go by, I have noticed how the patients are becoming my comfortable with us. The one’s who once resisted socializations look forward to talking to us as soon as we arrive on the unit. The ones that were once, isolative with a flat affect, are noted to be smiling and are more talkative. It’s almost liked they had to watch and feel us out in opinion. I truly appreciate that because, in the world of mental health, one I feel, should not easily trust everyone they encounter. As a group, we have become more aware of many of the signs and symptoms of many of the current mental health diagnosis, so we are able to identify some of the noticeable side effects experienced by the patients such as rapid/pressured speech, severe hand tumors, the Parkinsonism shuffle, and those that are responding to internal stimuli (RTIS).

The staff, so please do not get me wrong because I too am a mental health worker at a hospital facility. I have always enjoyed my position and went to school to get my BA for the purpose of assisting those living with some form of mental illness. The problem that I have noticed with some mental health workers is that many lose their “good insight” after so many years of working in the profession. Many also tend to lose their compassion. I do not mind the workers at our current facility. What I have noticed is that they make sure that their patient care rounds are faithfully completed every 15 mins. Besides that, they do not interact in any social form with the patients. They are more so there to monitor them, redirect them for safety reasons, and to make sure that each receive their prescribed medications. There are a few male staff members who seem to interact very well with the patients, including playing table games but as for the female workers, I have not seen that side as of yet. The second week we were there, we discovered that there is such a thing as “quite time” from the hours of 4pm to 6pm. During those hours, the television is shut off, and the patients are left to roam the hallways with nothing to do or keep their attention. Many appear more depressed in their affect during those hours. I found those hours to be very sad and feel that it changed the atmosphere. To me, quite time seemed more of a punishment than anything. The rationale was that it allows for a calmness.  It actually made our time there very sad but our game time/ group activity helped to brighten the patient’s mood. I strongly disagree with this method but the charge nurse is “in charge”

The environment, well I guess there is not much to say when you have individuals locked inn at a facility where many have resided for 13 plus years. It is stuffy, hot at times, and managed the best it can be. There is a television room, game room, dining hall, and the hallway for everyone to pace if need be. What I can say is that, staff make sure that there is plenty of food and snacks for the patients. They also have a good schedule system where activities are orderly. There is phone time, shower time, washing cloths time, meal times, and medication times. Each patient in my opinion is on top of things because that is their day to day routine. Overall, I feel that the staff have the patient’s best interest at heart which is all that matters. The patients on the other hand although many wish to be release at some point sooner then later, are functional, supportive of one another, and compliant with the rules of the facility. I am really appreciative to have this learning opportunity and feel blessed to be in position to assist those in need.

Nana B. Osei-Bonsu

6 comments:

  1. My clinical experience at RICA has been so wonderful and good. The environment at RICA looks safe once you enter but when you meet with the patients in their cottages you will notice a different thing altogether. The staff work hard to keep the environment under control and peaceful. But sometimes, the patients fight and abuse each other which make the environment to be tensed.
    The patients are children and adolescents who have some mental issues. Some of them lack proper home training and need structured environment to adjust to normal life style. The patients like to have us around especially for group teaching and interactions. My client is very co-operative and willing to turn a new leaf in order to leave the facility and join his family.
    The staff are very co-operative and received us with open heart. They provide us the necessary information we need and participate during group teaching to ensure that the patients do not disrupt the teaching session. Generally, I would say that the staff work hard to make the environment to be peaceful and calm.
    I am enjoying my clinical rotation at RICA because my group works as a team with our clinical instructor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Initially, I was very nervous prior to going to the facility. I’ve always heard stories of “Spring Grove” coupled with the fact that most of the clients i worked with in the group home are products of SGHC. The first day, my colleagues and I were side by side. I guess that was our “defense mechanisms”. I was afraid of the stares and looks that the patients gave us. I was also uneasy with the idea that we had to unlock one door at a time and I happened to be the only student that had a key. On our unit (RBC 4) I felt as if I was in jail.
    As time went on, I began to feel more comfortable with the patients, because they are people just like you and I. This rotation has given me a different outlook on the way I feel about the mentally ill. This has been a life changing experience for me. I didn’t realize how many people are in need of mental health care. Some of the patients were very accepting and are eager to work with students.
    The facility is small and currently houses 39 patients. They have to leave their rooms early in the morning and are not able to return until 8 p.m. They can sit in the Milieu and watch TV, play cards, or go to sleep which is not a lot of options for a full day’s schedule. The activity room is open during till 8pm when they all go upstairs to sleep.I feel so emotional reflecting on the pattern of their daily routine. Above all, it's been a terrific experience!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been three week of wonderful experiences both for me, the clients and everyone. The clients verbalized their appreciations on everything done for them by the students. Our going into the facility every week brings joy to them even though we meet different faces each time we get there. Our group presentation they declared, touch, refresh and added to their knowledge, and they are always looking forward to see us appear at the door. They are also enjoying our one - one discussion a lot because it gives some them the opportunity to share even when it is not yet their turn to see the social worker or the psychiatrist. At the initial stage I was thinking the facility will be a kind of noisy place but it turn out to be a quite, peaceful and hide out place for people who really want help to change their lifestyle. Schedule for each day activities are well spread out and also carefully followed by the clients, no matter how big or small, color or race one maybe. The staffs are nice with open hands to welcome us, ready to share ideas with all co-operation. I was able to have my turn to teach the group on "Anger Management". Clients were happy and they shared and contributed on the topic. Also had the opportunity to visit the detox unit where I learn more. It is a great experience, our Professor is a wonderful teacher who at all time gives us room to learn and exercise ourselves as a future nurse. My class mates are good and always co-operative. Above all it has been a wonderful time so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time has gone by so quickly that I really cannot believe that I have two more weeks left for my clinical rotation. When I first stated, I was very terrified with the environment because the children at RICA are so wild and disrespectful to the staffs. They lack respect and every evening, the cottages go crazy with loud noise and fighting. It is always a code call in each cottage most evening that we are there. Right now I am actually getting use to it. Staffs are very helpful in calming the client down and also supportive of us as student.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My clinical experience at RICA-Baltimore has been very pleasant. Ive learned a lot from the female adolescents. They are very inquisitive and talkative and are willing to share so much. The milieu can be very hectic at times, things escalating from calm and peaceful to chaotic. The weeks goes by so quickly, the end of the semester is approaching and i feel like it just started. I was little nervous when learning i was going to RICA due to the stories I've heard about adolescent psychiatric patients, but it has be a great experience thus far. I love those girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The patients at my unit at BCRI are very much involved and extremely receptive to learning. They love our teaching groups that we do every week, and they always have questions ready for us. They always tell us how much we help in making their day better. The staff are great and always willing to educate and help the students to meet their goals. The environment has been safe so far, there hasn’t been any incidences thus far. I have had so many experiences at my facility, I visited the Detox unit, and I also went “On the Run” to University of Maryland Medical Center with one of the floor nurses. We went to assess a patient who was a potential candidate for our facility. Overall, I think the unit is a great learning environment.

    ReplyDelete